Saturday, May 26, 2012

Storyboarding for a KickStarter video

A little protein and Powerade for the Storyboarding process.


An example of perfection for motivation.




















Hey Guys, It's R.A. Johnson. Today we worked on storyboarding several scenes from the script that we will hand over to an actual artist, as you can see from the pic above with my lego/stick figure characters, that we suck! Artistic ability doesn't matter in a storyboard situation, because as long as you sketch out specific angles and certain visual elements, you can always hand them off to a real artist, or even discuss and describe them to your D.O.P and/or cinematographer and they can really breathe life into it. And even if you're not handing them off to anyone else, they work great as a checklist if your shooting your own sequences or films.

 With ours, we want to make a KICKSTARTER VIDEO. Since we don't have any footage to show in a presentation, I thought it would be cool to create a storyboard trailer of our movie "SAUCED," so that we have a visual to show people. I recruited my talented friends Kool Keith and Jeff Buckholz to help us with the graphic elements of the movie. Kool Keith is a motion graphics artist who offered to help us with a really cool opening credits scene, not unlike the Naked Gun intros. Jeff Buckholz is an illustrator who will be drawing our storyboards for the trailer, as well as designing several logo's for the in-movie business.

 I really feel like an open forum and/or roundtable discussion helps me a lot with the progress of my story writing and character development. While writing, in my head I actually play out the parts of all the characters in a scene, and try my best to write it perfect. Then I will discuss it out loud with my partners, and most of the time, while I'm trying to describe what's going on with my scene, I will come up with something way better just discussing it out loud. Also, being opened minded and checking your ego at the door is an absolute must.

 Do you guys have any storyboarding tips or tricks? How about writing with another partner, or writing alone, do you have a preference? Let us know in the comment section below. Also, are you guys working on any projects? Tell us about what's unique or difficult about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment